Trekking Check List
Some people find it overwhelming to figure out how to prepare for their adventure to Machu Picchu. Hiking to Machu Picchu is something truly incredible that we all are capable of doing, but these helpful hints should get you there a little easier.
Hiking in the Andes is something different than hiking at sea level. The higher elevation makes breathing difficult. Some people find it helpful to use prescribed medication like Diamox. Talk to your physician to figure out what is best for you.
Get your body moving, walk, run, and hike...whichever you choose will help prepare you for constant motion and getting through your days until you reach Machu Picchu.
When you are ready to pack for your hiking trip, remember these essential things you should take:
- Original passport
- ISIC card(www.isic.org) if it is applicable (needs to be sent at the time of your booking
- Comfortable daypack to carry your gear for the day
- Cover for backpack
- Windproof/waterproof jacket or rain poncho
- Sleeping bag (can be rented in our office locally for $ 5 USD per day)
- Walking poles (available to buy or hire in Cusco)
- Camera and extra batteries
- Headlamp or flashlight
- Insect repellent
- Hiking shoes or boots (can replace comfortable walking shoes) “already broke in if possible”
- Camel bag - if not you can take Refillable water bottle
- Inner sheet (for sleeping bag)
- Warm clothes: Fleece top, Wool hat, Mitts or gloves, wool Socks (can be bought in Cusco), Thermal underwear and about 4 T-shirts.
- Hiking / track pants pants that zip into shorts
- Bathing clothes for the hot springs (optional)
- Strong plastic bags to help keep gear dry
- Sun hat and Sunglasses
- Sun cream or block
- Lip balm
- Toiletries, Toilet paper
- Small travel towel, If you’d like to shower on the Trail bring a small towel and Wet wipes and pocket tissues
- Basic first aid kit + Anti-inflammatory tablets (e.g. Ibuprofen)
- Extra money for drinks & tips, souvenirs, etc. (soles or dollars) At least 200 extra soles
- Personal snacks
- Good sense of humor
- Positive mental attitude